Phonics and Reading
Phonics at Beckley
We teach Phonics in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 using the DfE validated scheme ‘Rocket Phonics’ by Rising Stars. This is a Systematic Synthetic Phonics programme which takes pupils through all the Phonics phases and provides them with a library of decodable books which match their Phonics level and the in-class teaching they are receiving. Each lesson consists of whole-class revision and teaching, and then work in individual pupil practice books.
More information about Rocket Phonics can be found here: https://www.risingstars-uk.com/
Reading at Beckley
Throughout the school, reading is incredibly important to us. We love to read, and our pupils say it is one of their favourite parts of being at school. Phonics lessons teach us the skills we need to read books, and we soar from there. Reading happens in many different ways:
- Whole Class Reading: Years 1 to 6 have daily 'Whole Class Reading' sessions. Every pupil has a copy of a high-quality text, linked to their topic, which is read by the whole class over a half-term. During the daily sessions, every pupil in the class reads aloud to the rest of the class. The focus of these sessions is on 'book talk' - pupils discuss what they are reading with each other and their teacher.
- Reading Groups: Pupils have additional reading groups which happen in short bursts outside the classroom. These are led by a Teaching Assistant and the books read are matched carefully to pupils ability.
- Book Corners: Each classroom has an inviting book corner where carefully chosen books are displayed for pupils to enjoy. Pupils can use the book corner to explore new texts, or sit in to enjoy a book at appropriate times.
- 1:1 Reading: All pupils read regularly on a 1:1 basis with a Teaching Assistant.
- The Library: We are incredibly proud of our library at school, where pupils love to visit, choose books, and discuss what they like to read. All pupils are allowed to take their library books home to read in their own time.